Sunday, August 16, 2009

Las Vegas 10k








I ran the Las Vegas Fire/Police Dept. 10 K yesterday. What a morning. It was almost comical how interesting it was just getting there. I've been training with my good friend Jody. We actually set this race as our goal, but it's turned out to be our halfway mark to our half-marathon. Just the day before we had actually ran our 12 miles on our training schedule. It had been figured out that her teenage neighbor would come watch her kids 5:00 Sat. morning since her husband had to work. She texted me at 5:oo that she was banging on her door trying to wake her up. We were stressing knowing we had to leave to make it across town to get there by 6:00. Poor Jody tried everything, calling the house, early wake up calls to friends, no luck! She told me to leave without her. I felt so bad
Just the night before, Matt and Makena said they really wanted to go. I told them it wasn't a big deal, but very sweet. My awesome sister Kelly said she'd spend the night so we didn't have to wake up the littler girls. So after Jody's absence I was really happy they were coming with me.
I didn't print off a map, because my dear husband said he knew exactly where we were going. But it was equally my fault for not being more prepared. We left just in time that morning, because of the babysitter fiasco. We drove to the outlets Matt was sure it was, and no one. PANIC! Anyway 10 minutes later, we found it. It was five miles away or so. Hence we pulled up at strait up 6:00. I still had to turn in my paper and grab my chip and number. After the registration lady was bugging me with trying to place my chip in my shoe. I decided against it, since the other runners had taken off 4 minutes before! I took off knowing my time and name wouldn't register. I thought at this point it really didn't matter. I don't think I've ever run so fast to not be so far behind. Nothing like a little adrenalin. I caught up to at least the middle runners.
I was so happy to have Matt and Makena cheering me on along the way. It's a lot harder to run alone when you've been running with friends. My ipod wasn't staying nearly loud enough, and I wasn't willing to mess with it and lose more time. All in all it was a fun experience. It was fun to see a little of what the half will be like. Without my four minute delay, I ran it in 53min. 51 seconds.

6 comments:

Shalae said...

You're amamzing! You look fabulous too!

Wilcox Crew said...

You are awesome! Sorry you had such a crazy start, but glad it was a good run!

Jenny Herrera said...

Wow! good job!

Fausett Family said...

That's amazing! I struggle through the 5k's that I've run. Nice job.

Alison said...

Nice time! I hear you have some awesome toenails. Sorry girl. =(
Can't wait to see you guys next week!

Jamie Lynn said...

That is amazing Faith! I'm so happy for you, that is a GREAT accomplishment! What a good example to your girls too! Way to go!